WUN option to run at Startup doesn't work if UAC is enabled

Oct 29, 2013 at 3:01 PM
Edited Oct 29, 2013 at 8:06 PM
I cannot get WUN to run on windows 8 and 8.1 if UAC is enabled. It only runs if UAC is disabled.
It runs fine if you launch the shortcut from Startup after windows is up and running. Why won't it
run from Startup automatically?

Edit: Looks like I was still using an old method of using the Startup folder as explained in the documentation section:
If checked, a shortcut in the users startup folder to the WindowsUpdateNotifier.exe will be created.
which is no longer correct since the scheduler is now used instead of the startup folder

Anyway, after unchecking Start Windows Update Notifier on system startup in the WUN settings, the link was deleted from
Startup. Checking the same option again created a scheduler task instead of a startup link.
Oct 31, 2013 at 7:38 AM
Edited Oct 31, 2013 at 7:39 AM
You are right, I've missed to update the documentation:

If you start the tool without administrator-rights, the tool will only create a shortcut in the startup folder, because it's not possible to create a scheduler task.

But if you start the tool with administrator-rights, it will delete the shortcut and create a scheduled task instead. If you start the tool again without admin-rights, the tool checks that a task already exists and nothing will be changed.