Suggestion for an Issue

Sep 30, 2013 at 6:26 AM
Hi, I'm new to this codeplex forum. I came here because I was searching for a way to turn off a notification I keep getting. I didn't know if I should post in issues, or the discussion tab here.

Anyhow, I am getting a notification from windows for an update for Bing Desktop, which I never install, and never plan to install. Even though I cancel this update, as in don't select it, it keeps popping up to tell me about the update. It happens it seems a couple of times an hour, and I can't turn it off. Frankly I am disappointed more in Windows that I can't decline something in the update notifier, especially since this isn't an update, but a software install that I am not interested in. Anyhow, perhaps there's a way, or could be a way in the future to decline certain updates on a permanent basis.

Thanks for this program anyhow. I am having no trouble getting my updates now! :)
Oct 10, 2013 at 10:33 AM
Edited Oct 10, 2013 at 10:34 AM
Does anyone read these? I don't know how this project or program works. Should I post this somewhere else? Is there a way to stop the notification of an update that I don't want to get? Plus this Bing Desktop is not an update. It's an unwanted installation of a program. Why is Microsoft pushing this in there updates all the time, and not letting you take it out? Does the fact that no one answered have anything to do with this being a Microsoft hosted open source project? Anyone?
Oct 10, 2013 at 11:55 AM
The Windows Update Notifier shows only those updates which are shown by the Windows Update Control Panel. The tool do not support suppressing updates.

But you can suppress/hide updates via the Windows Update Control Panel. In the list where you can select which updates should be installed, you can right-click on the items and select the "hide" option. This should do the trick and you should not be notified about those updates again.
Marked as answer by corykent on 10/10/2013 at 9:36 AM
Oct 10, 2013 at 5:37 PM
Thank you, that is everything I needed! I'm so sorry I didn't find this answer on my own, I am normally resourceful. Somehow my mind got boxed in here, to only looking to here for answer.

Thanks again!