Version 1.5.0

Sep 16, 2015 at 9:22 PM
I am using Version 1.4.2 on Windows 8.1 and it is working well. Should I download Version 1.5.0 or is it intended only for Window 10?
Sep 18, 2015 at 10:19 AM
I tested WUN 1.5 on Windows 10 64 bit, but it still says "1 new update" even when no update is confirmed by "setting" -> Windows updates.
Sep 22, 2015 at 6:26 PM
I've got the same problem like matsuda0707 but working on Windows 8.1 64 bit, still "1 new update". Maybe the problem with the Windows 10 Upgrade isn't solved?
Sep 22, 2015 at 7:39 PM
Edited Sep 22, 2015 at 7:40 PM
I am using win7 64Bit Premium Home and have changed now to Vers. 1.5.0. The update notifier works perfectly well, no more notification of one update when there is none. New updates are properly notified. Search for update is set to one per day, not using ressources any more when System starts up. Great Job done, thanks a lot Christoph.
Oct 10, 2015 at 7:44 PM
On Windows 10 it might happen, that it shows the wrong number of updates as the OS is installing updates right now

Thats why ther is no offical support for Windows 10 as it is not really needed anymore. Windows 10 anyhow enforces the installation of updates (except some edition of the OS where you can delay the installtion of some updates). As long as it is not really possible to disable this behavior the tool might not be very usefull for Windows 10 users.
Oct 21, 2015 at 1:45 AM
I'm using Windows 10 PRO x64 and have my WU settings amended, via Group Policy Manager, to only inform when updates are available for download (no automatic download or install). Using Windows Update Notifier 1.5.0 still works very well in Windows 10 as far as automatically pulling updates for Windows Defender whenever they're available -- but I am still getting constant, spurious "one update available" notices even after WUN has installed Windows Defender updates. I have WUN set to check for updates every 60 minutes -- and every 60 minutes I get another pop-up notice from WUN that there is one update available. If I, then, check for updates via the Windows Update control panel, it tells me my system is up to date.

Do you suppose there is another update, other than the one you've already discovered for Windows 7, 8 & 8.1 that is always lurking silently/invisibly in the background for installing Windows 10, that is lurking similarly in Windows 10 -- some sort of silent update that doesn't show up in the Windows Update panel -- that you could ferret out the KB number for and have WUN ignore it as well?
Oct 22, 2015 at 12:42 AM
Hi, I've been using WUN for at least a year, I think. Prior to moving to Windows 10 I was getting a lot of the same problems as others, where there was one update reported as available. This all seemed to be down to the fact that I was eligible for Win10, yet hadn't installed it yet. So I finally put Win10 on my machine, and end up getting more unavailable updates. This was kinda irritating, but I just ignored it. Turns out that they are there, just not visible in the Update Settings page. I found this out after I installed CCleaner online. In that there are a several options, and one of them is to show updates for your computer. When I checked this, there was one update for a printer I don't use, which was on my network, and the other one was Silverlight. I installed one, and hid the other. When I then used WUN, it finally showed no missing updates. I guess I shoulda posted this sooner, as it was a coupla weeks ago that I spotted it. Perhaps WUN could in future make accessible these otherwise hidden updates, as that would really be useful on Win10, and to some extent on Win7/8+ for their hidden updates. I know the dev has said that this app is now of less use in Win10, but this could turn it into an even more essential utility than it already is.
Oct 28, 2015 at 1:12 PM
Hi Christopher, have you looked into my comment yet? I really think there is an opportunity for this app to be of use in Windows 10.
Oct 28, 2015 at 7:54 PM
Edited Oct 28, 2015 at 7:56 PM
Great post, Kurobara...

I went ahead and installed CCleaner Cloud on my computer and found exactly what you did: A very peculiar update listed as available in CCleaner Cloud's Updates list (something to do with an ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery (whatever that is!) for NEC Personal Computers (mine is a DELL computer!)) that was not showing up in Windows Update itself. I used CCleaner Cloud to mark the update "hidden" and now Windows Update Notifier is no longer reporting any non-existent updates as being available.

Thanks for solving it... for me, at least.
Oct 28, 2015 at 11:02 PM
Installing them with CC Cloud didn't work for me (I think), but I just hunted down the one I didn't mind (Silverlight - might end up using Netflix again). NEC make components for lots of devices, that just means the driver is from them. If you are interested in downloading the driver yourself, you can get it via the Microsoft Update Catalog. I ran a quick search for you, to check if it was there. You need to open the link in Internet Explorer, for the required ActiveX control to be installed.
http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Search.aspx?q=ACPI-Compliant%20Control%20Method%20Battery
The one from 2013 is for x64 devices, and the 2014 one is for x86.
Oct 29, 2015 at 12:04 AM
Thanks for your help (I got it installed) but I think we're veering a bit off-topic here. Suffice to say I've got Windows Update Notifier 1.5.0 working properly now in Windows 10 Pro x64.

Cheers!